After the elimination period, foods are reintroduced one by one to see if the body has healed and can tolerate them again. When we created our flours, we inadvertantly discovered that Hearthy Flours were ideal for AIP diets. Each flour is nothing but 100%.
Knowing which foods to eat and which foods to avoid on the Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) is only half of the battle. Here is short list of food that is recommended:
- All animal proteins (excluding eggs)
- All vegetables (excluding nightshades)
- Fruits in moderation
- Healthy fats (avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, animal fats, etc.)
- Bone broth Collagen
- Grain-free baking flours (Cassava, Apple, Banana, Coconut, etc.)
- no grains
- no dairy
- no legumes
- no Nightshade vegetables and spices (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, all peppers, red spices)
- no nuts and seeds based spices
- no Eggs
- no Soy
- no Thickeners, gums, and food additives
- no Poor quality seed oils
Many continue to follow an AIP template even after their autoimmune symptoms have reduced. This can be a preventative measure to stop symptoms from flaring again, or it may just be that you feel better eating more of an AIP template.
Regardless of how long you follow it, AIP is meant to be a short-term healing solution and not a long-term way of life.