Carrot, Apple & Coconut Muffins by Micah Trainor, Hearthy Chef, Culinary Nutrition GBC
These are by far my favorite muffins! They’re soft and moist, and won’t have you feeling like you just ate a piece of cake. They’re also great for a healthy snack or to fulfil a sugar craving while being nutrient dense! I love making these for kids because to them it’s a special treat, (but they’re still getting lots of fiber and nutrients!), and the texture is perfect for babies!
- Using freshly grated carrots rather than pre-shredded carrots is important here because it adds moisture to the muffins.
- Feel free to top these off with some coconut flakes or whole oats for added flavor and texture.
- To make vegan, sub out the eggs for 2 tbsps. milled flaxseed and 6 tbsp. water, whisked together.
Carrot, Apple & Coconut Muffins
Serves 12 muffins
Time: 45 minutes
2 cups Hearthy oat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
½ cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup oat or almond milk
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup grated apple
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a 12 muffin pan tin with cupcake papers and spray the inside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Separately, whisk together the oil, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk. 5. Gently fold the dry mixture into the wet. Then fold in the grated carrot and apple. 6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.