Gluten-Free Thumbprint Amaretti Cookies
Servings: 20 cookies
Time: 30 minutes
This classic Italian cookie is made simple with 6 ingredients, there’s no fancy equipment necessary and comes together from start to finish in 30 minutes. Amaretti cookies originated in Venice Italy during the renaissance period, and is traditionally made with amaretto liquor.
1. You can substitute the white sugar for sweetner or coconut sugar.
2. If you would like to add a little something to these cookies, place a whole or sliced almond in the middle of each cookie after placing them on the baking sheet, before baking.
3. You know your oven best! After 20 minutes of baking, check on your cookies every 3 minutes or so to catch your desired amount of chewiness.
2 cups Hearthy Foods Almond Flour
3⁄4 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 large egg whites
1⁄4 tsp salt
1⁄2 tsp almond extract
1⁄2 cup icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 325F and prepare 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, sugar and cornstarch.
3. In another bowl, whisk egg whites with salt until they reach soft peaks. Mix in almond extract.
4. Gentle fold in the wet and dry ingredients together and mix with your hands until fully combined. Roll into 1 inch balls and cover in the icing sugar and place on the baking sheets. Press down with your index finger on each cookie, and here is where you can add an almond on top if desired.
5. Bake each tray one at a time, for 20 - 25 minutes.