Apples are an all american favorite and when added to muffins who can resist! Apple Muffins for breakfast or as a quick snack is a great way to start the day, especially when they are healthy apple flour muffins. While there are plenty of recipes for apple muffins made with white flour or whole grain flour, incorporating apple flour seems like a natural transition. If you are looking to clean up your diet and add healthier options, try healthy apple flour muffins made with Hearthy Foods apple flour for the win!
Recently I was introduced to Hearthy Foods. And I have to tell you that I am very impressed with the quality and taste of the flours that they make. The apple muffins I made with my new Hearthy flours are sweetened with honey and organic apple sauce. Saying they are delicious does not do these muffins justice! They have just enough sweetness to curb my sweet tooth.
I based this recipe off of my mom’s recipe and substituted apple flour and oat flour in place of white flour. I also used raw honey for a touch of sweet and apple sauce and ghee in place of vegetable oil.
These muffins contain honey crisp apples, apples, and more apples! With apple flour, organic apple sauce, and chopped apples, you couldn’t ask for a more apple muffin than this! In my opinion, these are the best apple muffins I have ever eaten. Not to mention they are healthy!
Cooking Apple Flour Muffins
A few notes before we begin. When making any recipe with alternative fruit and vegetable flours its important to eliminate any flour clumps. This should be done before mixing the flour with any other ingredients. There’s nothing worse than biting into a clump of flour that didn’t get blended well.
Be sure to spoon flour into your measuring cup and use a butter knife or the flat edge of a cake knife to level the flour in the measuring cup. Never press or pack the flour into the measuring cup. You’ll end up with too much flour and the muffins will be very heavy.
Let’s Get Cooking!
While these muffins are healthy, they taste absolutely decadent! This recipe is so simple, even if you don't bake or cook on a regular basis this recipe is a breeze. The recipe makes approximately 10 to 12 muffins depending on how full you fill your muffin tins.
- 1 cup apple flour
- 1/2 cup of oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsb cinnamon
- 2 Apples chopped into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup organic applesauce
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease with refined coconut oil or virgin olive oil. I
- Dice the apples into small pieces and cook in a skillet (spray with refined coconut oil) on medium heat until the apples are soft.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, applesauce, honey, ghee or butter, and vanilla extract. Stir the ingredients together until they are completely blended and appear to be smooth.
- Add the cooked apples into the wet ingredients and stir until completely combined.
- In a separate bowl blend all of the dry ingredients together, apple flour, oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir the dry ingredients together making sure to eliminate any clumps before incorporating the wet ingredients (the clumps will not mix well and you will end up with dry hard dry spots in your muffins).
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir them together until they are fully incorporated (the batter will be thick).
- Split the batter evenly into the 12 muffin cups in the greased muffin tin (spray tins with refined coconut oil)
- Bake the muffins for 13 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted in the center and it comes out clean.
As with any recipe you make, you can substitute ingredients to make the recipe fit your diet. Try replacing eggs with flax eggs and the butter with ⅓ cup coconut oil for a vegan version. Also for an added touch of sweet, try drizzling caramel sauce over warm muffins for a delicious dessert!
For more information on Hearthy Flours check out the online store. You’re going to love their products! I already have plans for the flour I’m getting ready to order! I can’t wait to try out more recipes.