Photos and recipe by @thefodmapfactor.
You may consume collagen in your diet, but did you know your pets can also benefit from collagen supplementation? Similar to humans, collagen is the building block for your pets' bones, cartilage, joints, blood vessels and connective tissues. And like us, the amount of healthy collagen in the body begins to diminish with age. Incorporating collagen into your pets’ diet can combat potential aches and pains of aging down the road. These Pumpkin Flour Dog Biscuits use our Oat Flour, Kabocha Pumpkin Flour, and Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides to create a simple, crunchy treat your fur baby will most definitely love!
Five Reasons to Give Your Dog Collagen
From IHeartDogs.com, adding collagen to your dog’s diet can:
Stabilize joints and prevent injuries. As muscles and connective tissues loose and become more brittle with age, dogs become susceptible to injuries. Adding collagen can improve joint health and can assist in injury-prevention.
About the Ingredients
Hearthy Foods’ Oat Flour - This flour serves as the neutral base of the dough.
Hearthy Foods’ Kabocha or Regular Pumpkin Flour - Both Kabocha pumpkin and regular pumpkin are not only safe for dogs, but they’re also a superfood! Essential micronutrients and fiber make pumpkin a great option to add to treats. It can also help ease digestion due to its soluble fiber content, although regular pumpkin has more than Kabocha.
Hearthy Foods’ Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides - Adds a boost of protein and health benefits.
Baking Soda - Gives your biscuits a tiny bit of rise in the oven.
Eggs - Serves as a binder.
Natural, Unsalted Peanut Butter - What pup doesn’t love peanut butter? Adding peanut butter gives the treat a great aroma for your fur baby to get excited over! It also serves as an additional binder. The healthiest option is to use unsalted, natural peanut butter since high sodium levels can be problematic for dogs.
What You'll Need
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Large Mixing Bowl
Rolling Pin (optional)
Small Cookie Cutters (optional)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1-1/4 cup Hearthy Foods’ Oat Flour
1/4 cup Hearthy Foods’ Pumpkin Flour
1/4 cup Hearthy Foods’ Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1/3 cup natural, unsalted peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oat flour, pumpkin flour, collagen peptides and baking soda. Whisk to thoroughly incorporate ingredients.
- Add eggs and peanut butter. Use silicone spatula to mix ingredients thoroughly. Dough will adhere to itself, and will not be sticky to the touch.
- If using a cookie cutter, place dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Gently peel off top layer of parchment paper. Cut out shapes, and recombine/re-roll leftover dough to continue using the cookie cutter until all the dough is used. Place biscuits on baking sheet, ensuring they are not touching.
- If not using a cookie cutter, roll dough into balls 1/2-inch to 1-inch thick. Flatten to 1/4-inch thickness. Place biscuits on baking sheet, ensuring they are not touching.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes until crispy.
- Keep Pumpkin Flour Dog Biscuits sealed in an airtight container in fridge and serve in moderation.
Looking for a dog treat without collagen? Try these Apple Flour Dog Cookies!