Pumpkin Gingerbread Cookies by Micah Trainor, Hearthy Chef, Culinary Nutrition GBC
This recipe is a fun twist on a classic cookie. I’m a huge fan of soft and bold gingerbread cookies with lots of spice, so for this recipe I wanted to use Hearthy Foods pumpkin flour to incorporate that fan favorite fall and winter flavor of pumpkin into these cookies.
I have made these cookies with all purpose flour, gluten free flour and Hearthy Food flours and they have all turned out great! If you just want a hint of pumpkin and not such a strong flavor, feel free to mix different flours together to achieve your desired taste.
- This dough needs to chill for a minimum of 2 hours, maximum of 3 days, but can also be frozen raw.
- The thinner you roll out your cookies, the crisper they will be. I like mine on the softer side so I roll it out about ½ an inch.
- This icing doesn’t harden 100%, so if these cookies need to be stacked I would suggest using cookie icing.
- You can substitute the butter with dairy free butter if need be, as long as it’s soft!
Pumpkin Gingerbread Cookies
10 tbsps unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
⅔ cup molasses
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups pumpkin flour, plus extra for dusting
1 ½ tbsp. ground ginger
1 ½ tbsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 cup icing sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar together. Add molasses and mix for 1 minute.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and whip for another minute.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, baking soda and salt. Slowly add the
dry ingredients to the wet and mix together until combined.
4. Divide the dough in two discs and wrap in plastic wrap. Let it chill in the fridge for 2-3
5. Preheat your oven to 350F. Lightly dust your workspace and roll out the dough to 1⁄2 an
inch thick. Cut into desired shape and bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Let cool
completely before icing.
6. While the cookies are baking, whip together the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla
with an electric beater