Sticky Apple Upside Down Cake Gluten-free and Dairy Free
An AWARD WINNING Recipe - A Sticky Apple Upside Down Cake featured on Food Network
A decadent Gluten-Free pudding like Apple cake that has a caramel nut bottom. This goes spectacularly with a scoop of vanilla icecream!
Prep Time 15 mins
Cook Time 1 hr
Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
- Pinch Salt
- 1 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Flavor Trader Joe's brand is alcohol free
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon mixed with a pinch of ground clove and nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Chopped nuts walnuts, pecans, or slivered almonds
- 1 3/4 cup Apple Flour Hearthy Foods Brand
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 2 tsp Cinnamon nutmeg mixture
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Milk of choice I used Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- For the apples, cut them either into thin wedges or in thin slices vertically. This is totally up to you. I cut mine into vertical thin slices. These will be used to line the bottom of the baking pan.
- For the caramel sauce, add all the components to a small pot. Mix and melt the ingredients together. Stir for 2-4 minutes until slightly thickened. Once the caramel starts to bubble and thicken then it is ready to be transferred to the baking pan.
- For this recipe, you will need either an 8 or 9-inch baking pan and preferably springform, but any will do. Grease the pan with butter or cooking spray.
- To the bottom of the pan, add a layer of aluminum foil in case of leakage from the caramel.
- Pour the caramel onto the baking pan making sure to spread it throughout the entire surface.
- Layer the apple slices on top of the caramel next to one another. Then, add the crushed nuts in between the apple slices on top of the caramel.
- Sprinkle this with more of that cinnamon nutmeg mixture.
- First, cream together the sugars and butter with the paddle attachment or a rubber spatula.
- Then, add the vanilla and eggs and mix together.
- Then, add the milk and mix.
- Next, Hearthy Foods Apple Flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix together.
- Spread the batter on top of the apples and caramel until even throughout.
6.I recommend placing the baking pan on top of a bigger baking pan so it is easier to maneuver and as an extra precaution.
- Bake the cake in a 350 F oven for roughly 1 hour.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before removing out of the pan and flipping onto a plate.
- Enjoy as is or with a scoop of vanilla icecream!
This can be made the morning of and stored room temperature.