Mole sauce is a traditional Mexican sauce that is so delicious and simple to make. The sauce can be as spicy as you like or mild if you do not like too much heat in your food. The recipe that I am sharing below is has a complex and spicy flavor that can be used on chicken, pork, or turkey. Also, it can be frozen to enjoy later if you have leftovers. The best part is that this recipe is that it takes less than an hour, where traditional mole can take all day and can be really complicated.
What is Traditional Mole Sauce?
Mole sauce which is pronounced (moh-LAY), is a delicious sauce that has layers of delicious flavor. The taste starts out as succulent and ends as sweet and spicy with a rich and velvety texture. The sauce has quite a few ingredients but this Mexican sauce is well worth the effort it takes to make. Mole sauce usually has 20 or more ingredients and includes dried chiles and chocolate. As with all recipes, there are many different variations. I would describe the taste as heavenly! The chocolate in the recipe brings all of the flavors together to give it a smooth rich flavor but does not taste in any way like a chocolate candy bar.
Mole Sauce Ingredients
- 4 - tbsp of vegetable oil
- 4 ancho peppers, remove all seeds and chop peppers
- 2 chipotle peppers, remove all seeds and chop peppers
- 5 guajillo peppers, remove all seeds and chop peppers
- 2 negros peppers, remove all seeds and chop peppers
- 3 pasilla peppers, remove all seeds and chop peppers
- 1 head of garlic, finely chopped
- 8 cloves (use whole cloves)
- 2 whole Star anise pods
- 1 cup of crunched up tortilla chips
- 1 can of diced tomatoes w/ chiles (14.5 ounces)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup of golden raisins
- ½ cup of roasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup of roasted almonds
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds
- 3 bananas, chopped (be sure to use ripe bananas)
- 1 ½ tsp of cinnamon
- 3 cups of low sodium chicken stock
- 6 oz cacao flour (chocolate conversion 1 oz choc = 3 tbs cacao powder)
- ½ cup of chili powder
- 1 tbsp of honey, or maple syrup, or agave nectar.
- Pinch of salt to taste (taste varies so depending on your palate you may want to add more)
Directions for Cooking Mole Sauce
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the dried chiles, cloves, garlic, pumpkin seeds, almonds, sesame seeds, star anise, and tortilla chips. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the chiles are soft and start to brown. Be careful not to scorch the garlic.
- Next add in the bananas, cinnamon, onion, raisins, tomatoes, and 1 cup of the chicken stock. This should simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more stock as it is needed until all of the ingredients in the skillet are soft.
- Once all of the ingredients are soft, place the ingredients in a blender and puree, adding additional chicken stock as needed, until you get a smooth, thick paste.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in your skillet and add the chili powder, cacao flour, and 2 tbsp of water to bind them together. This needs to be stirred constantly so that it does not scorch.
- Add the pureed mixture into the chili and cacao flour mixture and stir all of the ingredients until they are thoroughly incorporated.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, adding chicken stock as needed for a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the sugar (or substitute for sugar) and salt. Let the mole sauce simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so as not to scorch.
How Do I Serve the Mole Sauce?
Mole sauce can be drizzled over chicken, pork, and turkey dishes. Some family favorites are adding it to tacos in place of salsa, drizzling it over baked chicken breast, pouring it on pulled pork or over pork roast like a gravy. There are really no boundaries with this sauce when it comes to adding it to recipes. The possibilities are endless so use your imagination!
Although there are many ingredients in this recipe, it is very simple to make. Don’t let the long ingredient list scare you from trying it. Once you make this delicious sauce, you will want to make it again! For the best Cacao Flour, rich in healthy nutrients, shop Hearthy Foods! Once you try our fruit, vegetable, and nut flours you’ll be hooked! From the Hearthy Family to Yours, We hope you enjoy the recipe and happy Healthy cooking!