Growing up in a Caribbean household, banana fritters were a favourited staple. Using Hearthy Foods banana flour, I wanted to put a Canadian twist on it with maple candied nuts and extra maple syrup for serving. This maple nut topping would be great as a salad topper or a granola snack as well!
1. Use very ripe bananas, if you don’t have any on hand, bake them in the oven (peel on) at 350F for 10 minutes.
Time: 15 minutes
1⁄2 tsp vanilla
1⁄2 cup banana flour
1⁄2 tsp cinnamon
1⁄4 tsp nutmeg
1⁄2 tsp salt
3 tbsp vegetable oil
Maple Nut Topping
1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
4 tbsp maple syrup
1. In a medium bowl, mash banana and whisk in egg and vanilla.
2. In another bowl whisk together the banana flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt.
3. Mix dry and wet ingredients together and preheat a nonstick pan with vegetable oil or butter.
4. Cook the fritters to your preferred size and flip over after about 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
5. Place the pumpkin seeds, walnuts and pecans on a non stick pan and roast for 1-2 minutes on medium high heat, add 1⁄2 the maple syrup and mix until the nuts are fully coated. Cook for another 1 minute then remove from the heat.
6. Pour the nut topping over the fritters, with the extra maple syrup!