Looking for a sweet treat for the Holidays? Look no further, we have just the thing! These Oreo macaroons put a fun twist on a classic dessert. We recommend making two batches, these ones go quickly around friends and family!
Ingredients for Macarons:
- 1 cup Hearthy Foods Almond Flour, finely grounded
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 5 - 6 Oreos separated (cookies without the cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- gel food coloring
Ingredients for Cookies N’ Cream Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. milk
- 6 - 9 Oreos
Directions for Macarons
- Separate the egg yolk from egg white and set aside for about 30 min until it’s room temp.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cookies, and 1/2 tsp. salt and put it in the food processor and pulse until very fine texture. You will need to sift all this to get all the big bits out.
- Add the room temp. eggs whites and the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt into a bowl and begin to whisk until it’s frothy.
- Start adding the 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to the egg whites. Mix only a little at a time to ensure it doesn’t lose volume.
- Keep whisking until you see stiff peaks.
- Add the vanilla extract and gel food coloring to the finished meringue
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and gently fold it into the meringue.
- Take your mixture and try to form a number ‘8’ with it. If your mixture is able to create the number 8 without any breaks, stop mixing.
- Lay out the parchment paper onto your tray and pipe the mixture into uniform circles with a 1-inch distance between each circle
- Let the wet macarons sit for at least 30 min - 1 hour to let them dry out. Once it forms a hard layer and is smooth to touch, time to bake
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and bake macarons for 17-19 min
- Let cool before adding in the buttercream
Directions for Buttercream:
- Add the softened butter in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy
- Add the vanilla extract and mix
- Add powdered sugar, one cup at a time to avoid clumps
- Add crushed Oreos
- Add milk and give one last mix
- Put the buttercream in the piping bag and pipe a small amount onto the inside of one macaron piece and sandwich another one on top.